Monday, January 19, 2009

54/40 blocks

Yesterday I put the 54/40 star blocks on the design wall. Mixed the 9 and 12 inch blocks together, using the middle of the 12 inch as the lattice pieces. After I got them all placed I decided to enlarge the size, so I cut and started sewing more 9 inch blocks. I just selected 6 new fabrics that with luck will go with the others, this also allows me to use more red and bright pink. I had a couple of blocks that really drew the eye, by adding more I hope that it will all balance out the entire quilt. I have all the individual units of the new blocks sewn and the center squares selected. Need to cut the 1 1/2 inch strips to use in the construction of the lattice pieces, and figure the size of strips on the outer rows between the star points. Will leave the top on the design wall for a couple of day, making little changes as needed (rearrange), and think about the border. By next weekend I should have the top completed.

I have also cut more pieces this time in batik for the 54/40 pattern. I have made a commitment to use these blocks as my leaders and enders project. I used this technique to complete most of the 54/40 currently on my design wall now. Sending thru in sets of 4 takes only a couple of minutes, and allows me to really use the blocks. I have a zip-locks full of 4 patches in different sizes (2, 2 1/2, 3, and 3 1/2 inches), I have no idea what to do with them, they don't really go with any project I have going. The fabric is not a good match for my 54/40's although I have thought about doing a totally scrappy 54/40. Using 8 different fabrics for the star points, what ever piece comes to hand. I have extra pieces cut of several fabrics, but not enough of one to make a complete block, making scrappy will allow me to use up these pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment